Believe it or not, there is a “Clean Off Your Desk” day. It is the second Monday of January. What perfect timing as we are diving into a new year and craving new and fresh everything. It’s important to have an organized and clean workspace. The less clutter surrounding your space, the more clarity and focus you will have. Here are some quick tips for having that cleaner desk.
- Remove everything from your desk and place into a pile on the floor, including the items you think you will keep.
- Dust and wipe your desk, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Make sure to use the right cleaning supplies. You can find options at any office supply store.
- Throw/shred any documents you don’t need as well as sort through items that don’t need to be on your desk. Keep only items that will be useful and that you will use every day plus something that inspires you, makes you happy or reminds you of one of your goals – family or vacation photo, quote, etc.
- Place items back on the desk and keep them within reach. Utilize drawers, cabinets or trays with labels for all the other non-essential desk supplies. Tie any loose or hanging cords so that they are neat. Search cable ties on Amazon or The Container Store.
- At the end of each workday, remove any cups or drinks, put papers in their designated space and put pens and notebooks back where they belong. Getting into this habit will help keep you decluttered and will feel fresh when you start the next workday.
A few optional items you can add are a monitor stand and a candle for ambiance. One of my all-time favorites is from the Stress Relief line from Bath and Body Works in Eucalyptus Spearmint. Here’s a non-affiliate link for you – because that’s how much I love it!
We hope these quick tips will help inspire you to give your desk a makeover. Even if it is something you are not looking forward to, we promise that you will feel better. Let us know if there’s something you do or tools you use to keep your workspace clean and organized.