Staying focused may require retraining your brain to get rid of old habits and into good ones. When you stay focused, you can get a lot accomplished in your personal and professional life. The question is, in these days where life gets so busy and crazy, how do we even begin the process of staying focused on the task at hand?
Here are four tips to help you get started:
1. Mentally prepare for the work ahead
- Verbally speaking out loud and telling yourself you will be focused is okay! Sometimes we need to psych ourselves out.
- Be confident in what you are about to do and that you are able to handle and complete the task(s) ahead.
2. Keep your space organized
- At the end of your work day, spend a few minutes (set a timer if needed) to clean your space and put everything where it belongs and ready for the next day.
- If your phone is not needed for work, put it away for a few hours or put it on silent. Notifications, texts and phone calls are common distractions in one’s work day and each minute looking at your phone takes away from completing your task.
3. Make a to-do list
- Know what you are going to be working on and have a plan. You can make your list at the beginning of the day, end of the day for the next business day or at the beginning of your week.
- Checking items off your list will help you feel more accomplished. You should prioritize your tasks by placing the most challenging tasks first. Save the easier tasks for the end of the day when, for most of us, our energy is winding down.
4. Include break times
- It is recommended to take a 5-10 minute break for every hour of work. This may be hard to do but it’s essential in giving your eyes (and brain) a break.
- If needed, set a timer to go off every hour of work to remind you to take your break. If you’re really “in the zone” or have a tight deadline, you can skip breaks but try not to make it a habit.
Try implementing one, some or all of these tips this week. Be sure to come back and let us know how these tips worked for you. If you have some tips of your own that help you stay focused at work, please feel free to share with us and our readers!