It’s that time of the year and it always arrives faster than we expect. As we are all getting ready for a new year, many of us reflect on the goals we set this year, determine if we met them then get motivated to be even better next year. What did this year look like for you? Did you find yourself needing more hours in your day? Can you look at your list of to-dos and say that most of those involve taking your business to the next level? Maybe you’re not there yet and you haven’t even thought about new year goals. Grab your pen, paper, and drink of choice. Let’s start thinking through what you should be thinking about for a successful 2018!
- Goals – I want you to think BIG and write down 3 goals that scare you and prioritize them.
- Time Management – In order to move toward goal completion, you need to look at where you are spending your time. How much time are you spending on emails or scheduling phone calls or meetings? For one day, write down where your time is going. There are several activity or time logs that you can download online.
- Calendar – Utilize your calendar to it’s fullest potential. Block time for items that happen on a regular basis during the week: calls, meetings, administrative time, travel, etc.
- Create a vision board – block an hour in the evening or on your next day off and create your vision board. Why did you choose the goals in step 1? What fulfillment will it bring you – peace, an increase in income, travel, etc.? Write those goals in large letters on your posterboard and find pictures on the internet or in a magazine that will inspire you and remind you of what you are working toward. Don’t skip this step! If you don’t have time to buy a poster board, take a blank sheet of paper and fill it in. Post it where you will see it every day.
- Write your Not-To-Do list – You have written your goals and evaluated where you are spending your time. Do they match up? Will those items you are doing every day help you to reach your goals? Many times, they don’t. What is on your to-do list that you want to move to your not-to-do list? Perhaps it’s outsourcing some tasks because so that you can have that one meeting with a great prospect. Don’t get so lost in the day-to-day operational responsibilities that you lose the freedom to focus on the core of your business. Get back to doing what you love.
Make the decision now to focus your time and strengths on the action items that will help you accomplish your goals, regardless of what time of the year it is! You don’t have to wait for the beginning of a new year to make a decision to set or evaluate your goals. Contact Remote COO at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us partner with you to help take your business to the next level. We can take the items on your not-to-do list!